Saturday, June 27, 2009

Baby Two-Tiered Gown


I had always wanted to make this kind of dress, but it requires a lot of work such as making the ruffles, adding two small ties at the back, really it is a lot of work.

At first I was thinking of making an A line dress for Tasneem, but since her Maksu wanted a long dress below her knee, then it is not enough to make one. So, I use the remnants of the 2 meters to make a 2 tiered gown.

This dress is made out of 3/4 meter of fabric. Actually I bought 2 meter of this fabric. One for her Maksu (8 years old) and one for Tasneem. Both of the dress are finished within a week of my leisure time.

How did I make this dress, I use the same top pattern as my previous post about baby gown.

How to make ruffles for the tiered gown? I use sewing machine, set the stitch to the longest stitch per inch you could get, then you sew along the line. Then you cut out the thread, and then slowly pull out the thread to make ruffles along the fabric.

Since this dress looks dull and boring, I use the same white bias tape to make two ribbons to attached to it. I also sewed white ribbon along the tiered to make it looks more shine and elegance.


Here is how it looks from the back side of the dress. Easy no zipper at the back, just one button with a short slit at the back of the dress.


This is how it looks like when my daughter wears it.



Although this dress took a long time and patience to make, but the result is fabulous, I love to see my child smiling and happy with her dress. She looks really adorable in it. I am glad that I was forced to make this dress once.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Baby Gown from Japanese sewing book


I made this baby gown using the pattern from this japanese sewing book (ISBN: 978-4-8163-4652-1)which I bought at Kinokuniya Bookstore.



The fabric used was from Idzyan’s Kebaya (cotton fabric remnants about 30cm or less) and I mixed with some of this cotton fabric that I use it to make baby tops in my previous posts. Total fabric needed about 50cm to 60cm. For Tasneem, I added lace to make it longer than her knee.

For the bias tape, I use the same fabric as the bottom part. This is to make it looks like store bought. I made the bias tape myself, did not use any Clover or any bias tape maker. I hope that one day I will have one for myself.


I added small flower that I got it from kenduri (usually from handkerchief given to guest) to make it look nicer.So, don’t throw away those little flowers, you might need it for any projects in the future!


At the back I alter it a bit, not using bias tape as a closure, but I sew small red button with a blanket stitch as a closure. Pretty easy and simple.



Tasneem and her maksu Ilyana.

My experiences in making this gown:

a) need lots of patients especially in making the ruffles and bias tape, very tedious though

b) don’t rush in making it, so that the outcome will come out perfect

c) easy to handle when using cotton as the material

So, that is all for today.