Thursday, May 24, 2012

Knitted Hat using Thickish yarn

DSC_1465_5_needle_hat_3mp_wm
I would say I love the look of the hat, using 2x2 ribbed pattern, purl 2, knit 2. Why I love it, because it looks like cable pattern, but only use simple knit and purl. The pattern was taken from Lion Brand yarn website under Solstice Hat name. Easy to make, it only takes 5 hours for me to make. It seems a long time for someone who is an expert. But, for a beginner, this is considered fast to make. Hehe.. Winking smile
And of course, you only need ONE ball of Thickish yarn, which after finished making the hat, I have still some yarn left, can be made into pom pom balls, or pom pom dolls. I used 8mm Circular Needle 50cm and also 8mm Double Pointed Needle. The pattern suggests using 9mm, but I do not have it with me. I only got 8mm and 10mm sizes, but after calculating the gauge, I think I better use the 8mm, but increase a few more stitches to achieve the right gauge as stated in the pattern.
Here is how I do it.
DSC_9992_5_needle_hat_3mp_wm
What you need = materials:
1 ball of Thickish yarn
8mm circular knitting needle 40cm or 50cm
8mm Double pointed knitting needle (DPN)
measurement tape
a few stitch markers
DSC_9985_5_needle_hat_3mp_wm
Cast on how many stitches as to the gauge, with this, I make 56 cast on stitches (I learned that for every stitch increase, you make sure it is divisible by 8 for making hat). And mark the first stitch when knitting in the round. So you may not get confuse with the first stitch and last stitch of the row.
DSC_9980_5_needle_hat_3mp_wm
This is how it should looks like, knit 2, purl 2. You are making like a long tube. Before doing decreasing for the hat,, you need to measure the stitches like the one below about 10”.
DSC_9986_5_needle_hat_3mp_wm
After getting the 10” stitch height for the hat, transfer the stitches evenly on the DPN, I used 5 of my DPN, and use together with the circular needle to knit. Some of you can also divide with four DPN and knit using the 5th DPN needle.
DSC_0021_5_needle_hat_3mp_wm
Do a decreasing like in the instructions, and then do knot and weave the ends.
DSC_1447_5_needle_hat_3mp_wm
Tadaa!! The final product. My husband took the amazing pictures!

No comments: